Friday 18 June 2010

Langdon

Hey folks, I'm sorry. Chapter 7 is only half-way done. I don't know why, I wrote this piece instead (below). Poor language, but I feel it should be posted. Enjoy... or not. I'll have Chapter 7 up soon. Do keep reading (don't leave me, I need you) Comments welcome!

***
Inspired by the Strays Don't Sleep, here's Langdon

It was dawn; he didn’t have to open his eyes to know it. Smelling the dew in the air was enough. He was happy, and hungry. Perhaps he’d go down to the cafe’ that served those funny looking buns. It was a block away, and he knew he could make a run for it. The streets were mostly empty this early anyway.

He rose and stretched completely, one would even say that he looked comical when he wiggled his big, buff body. Living on the streets had done this to him. He nudged his “box-mate”, Buddy, to get up. In the still of the morning, the two of them went along their way to the neighbourhood cafe’.

He was happy to live his life this way, with not a care in the world. Sure, he went hungry most of the time, he knew he smelled funny and people occasionally gave him dirty looks, the rare person gave him food and leftovers. The worst part of his life was over. He had gotten over getting lost. He had a family before, he had people who loved him, cherished him, and spent their days with him. Not anymore.

As the two brave ones went down the road, it was time to cross. Buddy went first, since he knew the way better. He somehow couldn’t decide when to cross, stunned by the lost feeling that had crept up, he stood at the side of the road as Buddy watched him from the other side.

He goaded himself to do it. Afterall, he had done it dozens of times. He was going to take the plunge. It was quite a short distance to dash and he felt it was time. He moved off the gravel and onto the tar, and began his journey. Not a sound in the distance – he was sure.

As he reached the middle, he tempted fate and decided to stop. He looked at Buddy, smiled at him. Buddy really was his best friend. They kept each other company, went on crazy adventures together, chased girls together, they really were the best of friends.

Still staring at Buddy, he felt the hairs at the back of his neck stand. In an instant, he saw it. A big, black truck heading his way – fast. Unable to move, too stunned to react, his mind reeled as the front bars of the truck crashed into his body. Screeching tyres, Buddy shouting for help - he felt no pain.

As life rushed out of him, he wondered if his family missed him. He yelped, cried and saw the tail lights of the truck move into the distance as he lay his head down, to sleep, one last time. The death of Langdon, the Border collie who got lost two months before went unnoticed. His owner, Katy, cries every night, wishing he would come home.

“Love is watching someone die” – Death cab for cutie.

I cried while writing. Have a good cry today, it's good for you.



For Langdon and anyone who has lost someone.

As I go forth into the darkness,

Weakened legs, shattered strength,

Crossing to the other side,

The cheering angels now meek,

Freezing water and burning larva,

I brave forward, knowing it is time,

Forgive me my sins, wipe away blemishes,

Love me not for my triumphs,

Love me not for my feats,

Love me not for good deeds done,

Love me for I have loved you.

***Listen to Bird York's "In the deep" for special effects.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say anything, anything at all. Just say something.